We are alive because of the Earth’s atmosphere and the way it is built up. Many theories have come up regarding the formation of earth and its elements. In this direction, scientists have drawn various conclusions of which some are correct and others that do not have any proof to support them. Despite of these researches, there are many such hidden facts about our Mother Earth stated below which will amaze us to a great extent. Top 25 Amazing facts about Earth are mentioned here, get to know more about Earth from here.
- Although the Earth is one round structure, it has been proven that it is not exactly spherical in shape, and because of the gravitational forces it bulges out near the equator. Hence, the Earth is not a perfect round structure.
- All other planets have their names of Greek origin except for Earth. Even thought earth is 71% water, it got its name from a word “Erda” which means soil or ground.
- We say we have 24 hours in a day but this is not scientifically true as we have an exact duration of 23 hours, 56 minutes and 4 seconds in a day. Due to this, we get 16 minutes less in a year which is taken by the sun to return to its place.
- Researchers and scientists may have found many of the marine animals and discovered hidden secrets deep down the seas, but around 25 million marine species are still not found and we have explored only 10% of the total water bodies. We have a lot more to explore in the seas.
- Each planet has its own orbit, but there was a time when a planet named Theia, whose size was like that of Mars, was in Earth’s orbit. When Theia crashed, most of it was absorbed by the Earth and it became one with Earth.
- Earth sustains life and new lives are continuously growing here. This is not the only fact. Earth itself is a huge living giant. Earth, in reality, is an organic system which has the capability to recycle life so that this planet can remain alive as always. There is, in fact, a system which connects the biological and physical process of earth.
- One amazing fact about our planet is that it has many volcanoes deep down inside the crust. They erupt according to the movements on the earth’s surface. It is said that about more than 500 volcanoes are there worldwide. Out of this, almost 78% are found beneath the surface and are made up of volcanic soil.
- Scientists are of the opinion that 25 million years from now, a new supercontinent will be formed. This is due to the tectonic plates which are moving constantly at various rates. This movement is more frequent near the Pacific Ocean and the North Atlantic region.
- Many of the pictures we see help to draw a conclusion that the Earth is a blue planet. Since it is made up of 71% of water, it appears to be a huge blue mass when seen by the astronauts. Despite this fact, the Earth’s core temperature is about 6000 degrees Celsius and this is more than enough to sustain life here.
- Among all the planets, Venus is said to be the brightest planet in the Milky Way. This is different from the actual fact that the brighter planet is earth. This is because when the Earth is seen from outer space, it appears very bright in the Milky Way due to 71% of the water area present here.
- It has been proven scientifically that it takes about 8 minutes and 20 seconds for the sunrays to reach our planet due to the distance between the sun and the Earth. Hence we can say that when we feel warm or hot then it is due to the energy given out by the sun which reaches the earth 8 minutes late.
- We are all stable here because of the gravitational forces. This is not a normal concept as we think because gravity is not uniform throughout the globe but varies at some areas. It depends on the distance from the earth’s core. Accordingly, you might feel lighter at some places and heavier at other places.
- It has been declared that Mt. Everest is the highest point on earth. But this is far from truth. Since the earth is not exactly round, anything on the earth closer to the equator is bit closer to the stars and other planets. Technically, this means that Mount Chimborazo, which is only 20,564 ft above sea level, is actually the highest point.
- Once upon a time, Earth was believed to be at the center of the universe and other heavenly bodies were assumed to rotate about the earth. This was accepted because of the movement of sun and other planets. But this is not the fact. In 1543, Copernicus showed a new theory which stated that the sun, not the Earth, is the center of our solar system.
- Although we know that the earth rotates at a constant rate, and days and nights are arranged accordingly, but the fact is that the rotation of earth is slowing down day by day. About 140 million years from now, we can say that a day will increase to 25 hours.
- The Earth was a lifeless planet for a long time. After this phase, first life here developed in the oceans. This process was natural and this living being came from non living matter like simple organic compounds.
- You might be feeling stable standing anywhere but actually you are moving very fast. This depends on which part of the globe you are standing. At a particular point, you could be moving at a speed of approximately 1000 miles per hour. This speed can be equal to the speed of a spinning basketball on our finger.
- Spinning around is normal. But along with this, it is also moving around the sun simultaneously without making us feel all the movements. This speed is estimated to be around 30 km in a second.
- You might be surprised knowing that the area you are walking on is recycled magma which emerged from the earth and hardened to form rocks. The rocks’ structure changed continuously and this led to the formation of small particles. These particles formed soil during the course of time and thus gave rise to plain land areas.
- There are certain hot spots on the earth’s surface. These are those locations which are unusually hotter than other areas on the Earth. Life here is tough and you can see such areas in other colors when you see the planet from outer space. A place called El Azizia in Libya has a recorded temperature of 57.6 degree Celsius.
- The Earth has a kind of creepy magnetic pole. Due to the earth’s gravity, the liquids flow and they create electric currents. These currents give rise to the magnetic field. This magnetic pole is not stationary, but it has migrated towards the north by about 40 miles. Thus, the Earth is a huge magnet having the North and the South Poles.
- Pole reversal is another phenomenon experienced. In the past 20 million years, the poles have reversed more than twice. These flips occur after hundreds of years. During this time, the magnetic pole starts to move away from its region and then finally settles at the opposite end.
- Although we are sure of this fact that the Earth has only one moon, but some of the scientists are of the opinion that Earth has two moons in all. This is actually a space rock which is 3.3 meters big in size and orbits the earth. Sometimes it disappears and hence it is also known as a “temporary moon”. The fact is that the Earth’s gravity attracts some of the asteroids when they are near the earth’s surface and they start moving with the earth’s pace.
- Ever heard of a walking rock? Yes, rocks do walk and this is true at least for the area called Racetrack Playa in the Death Valley. This area experiences storms so huge that rocks weighing up to hundreds of pounds can move. According to the NASA research, the rocks here can move anytime due to the uneven weather.
- Marine life is indeed vast on Earth and it is said that the coral reef supports a huge variety of species under itself. If we count all the species living here, we can say that they are the largest living creature areas in the world.
The Earth is a huge planet and has diverse geographic regions. Despite all this facts, one fact is that it is experiencing mass extinction thought out. There have been many other historic extinctions and the current extinction rate should be controlled to protect our Mother Earth.
The Earth is an amazing planet, the only one in the solar system that sustains life. But, how well do you know your home planet? Here are 25 Amazing Facts about Earth that everyone should be aware of.